Five new cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in the province today. Public Health says one of those cases is a person in their thirties here in the Saint John region which remains at the Orange Level.
The other four cases are in the Fredericton Central region which was lowered from Orange to Yellow at midnight Sunday. Two of those cases involve people 19 and under – one in their forties and one in their seventies. That case is related to international travel.
Public Health says four of today’s cases are close contacts of previously confirmed cases – and – all are self-isolating. Yesterday – a case was confirmed at Fredericton High School. Public Health says so far no student to student transmission has “been determined in any school.”
Currently we have 82-active cases in the province with three people in intensive care units in hospitals. Seven deaths related to COVID complications have been recorded in the province since the pandemic was declared in March.
On Sunday – Chief Medical Officer of Health – Dr Jennifer Russell indicated the Saint John region would be re-assessed today to determine if we could move back to the Yellow Level. So far there is no word on that assessment process or any decision to ease restrictions. Premier Blaine Higgs said he was hoping the Saint John region might be able to move back to Yellow by the end of this week.